The G-20 is coming to Pittsburgh next week for those who live in a hole and didn't know about it. My first reaction when I found out about it was a good one. I was excited that Pittsburgh was chosen out of all of the other cities that were in the running. Even though I'm not from Pittsburgh, I have a lot of pride in the city because I think it's great.
However, now that the G-20 is only a week away, I'm pretty anxious about it. I'm not afraid for my own personal safety because you can't pay me to go downtown next week. I think I'm pretty safe going from Squirrel Hill to Oakland, if I go to Oakland at all. I may just work from home. I'm afraid for the city, the people who work downtown and the law enforcement. I've heard some pretty crazy things over the past few weeks from the radio, newspapers, word of mouth and websites of people protesting the G-20. I was confused at first because I thought why are there going to be protesters at the G-20? I didn't think it was something that was extremely conrtoversial. But then I realized that since the G-20 is an international stage, people are going to protest anything and everything just so that their voices will be heard. There are estimates that say 50,000 people are expected to show up and protest.
I'm afraid that the entire city is going to get trashed from all of these people being here. Downtown Pittsburgh is 0.64 square miles. That's nothing! It's about 1/6 the size of Center City Philadelphia ( I did the math). Where are all of these people going to fit? I heard on the radio that since all of the hotel rooms are booked that people are going to try and camp out in Schenley Park or at The Point. Both of those places are way too nice to have a bunch of dirty squatters mess it up. Plus, you're not allowed to camp there anyway. I head that there is going to be a parking lot set up somewhere in the Strip District for them to hang out. Well what are they going to do at night?
I'm worried about the people who work downtown because they're going to have to deal with so much bullshit just to get to work. Traffic, protestors, possibly getting hit with balloons full of raw sewage, etc. I also feel bad for people who have to commute into downtown or Oakland. Traffic is going to suck!!! It sucks anyway and I can't imagine the G-20 making it any better.
Finally, I'm concerned about the law enforcement officials who have to deal with all of the crazies coming to Pittsburgh. I hope they're all getting paid some extra scratch for their effort.
I know that the last G-20 that was held in London had only peaceful protests and everything turned out ok. But I'm still worried because that was London, a huge international city. This is Pittsburgh, a small city. Plus a lot of people in this country scare the shit out of me. I have a feeling that I'm going to be staring at giant posters of dead babies all week from those freaking stupid abortion people. I haven't seen them yet this year so they're probably waiting until next week.
Need more spray paint to huff!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment