- I can't figure out my thesis shit, which means that I'm still stuck in Pittsburgh, which means that I have to continue to mooch off of my friends, which means that I have to sleep on a couch and live out of a suitcase.
- My funds are rapidly approaching zero and I've started having to use my credit card. Using my credit card would be no problem except for the fact that I have no idea when I'm ever going to see a pay check again. I've applied for 1,000,000 jobs and nothing has come from it. This means that I'm going to be stuck in my parents house (if I ever make it there) for way too long. A.J. and I need to get out of there and get our own place.
- MY CAR SMELLS LIKE A TERD COVERED IN BURNT HAIR!!! A.J.'s mini fridge was unplugged with a piece of chicken inside of it. It sat for several weeks fermenting. I discovered it with the hopes of lugging it out to my car to bring home (whenever that is) and almost ralphed when I smelled what was inside. I cleaned the entire thing, inside and out, with clorox clean-up only to discover that didn't do a damn thing. I dragged the thing outside to air out for a few days. Two days later, I returned to check on it. It still smelled and I cleaned it with bleach again. I had to put it in my car because it was going to rain. I couldn't put it back in the house because it made the entire house smell. Several bruises later, I had the fridge in my car. Now the thing is just sitting in my car in the hot hot sun, all day every day, stinking and making me gag every time I get in the car. Don't forget!!!! My car has no air conditioning!! Meghan somehow jewed me out of the Grand Am and I'm stuck driving around in a car that is hot as balls and has a rotten refrigerator inside of it. Hey Meg, if you read this, I'm coming for the grand am, watch out!!
- The battery of my laptop is completely fried and I'm not able to move my computer anywhere unless I shut down the entire thing. This is only a minor annoyance, at least the thing still works.
AND THEN I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!
Here is the story.
I'm sitting in my office talking on the phone to A.J. (who is a saint for putting up with me for all of this shit) and complaining about the bulleted items above.
I was trying out some new thing that my advisor had told me to do. I had zero faith that it would work because nothing has worked out for me pretty much since I started grad school. So I'm sitting there doing my thing and then I saw it. I had made a mistake when calculating a value that was crucial to what I was doing. At first, I was in disbelief. Could this be the mistake? Is this what has wasted my time for 2 weeks????? I MUST KNOW!!!!
As soon as I think that I might have found the reason why all of shit was so fucked up, Excel decided it's going to auto save all 3 of the files that I have open. Since they are huge files, I sat there and waited for 20 min. It seemed like forever.
Finally, excel quit being a bitch, and I was able to discover that my program worked beautifully. In a nutshell, this is what I was doing. I was comparing predicted values to measured values so that I could say that my model is legit. Basically if someone asked me, "Hey, how do we know that any of the shit you created is for real?" And then I'll say, "This is how!!!!!!"
I show them that I got everything under control because my shit is validated.
What does all of this mean?? It means that from now on, everything that I do is not going to be a waste of time. I know what I'm doing, I got it all figured out. It's just a matter of doing it. Each simulation takes 30 min and I have to do probably 200 of them. So it's going to take some time. But I'm getting there.
Once I realized what I had done and what it means. I about shit my pants. I was so freaking excited, I couldn't contain my happiness.
There you have it. The second best thing that has happened to me this year.





No comments:
Post a Comment